FRC Discussion: James Fairfax

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

FRC Discussion: James Fairfax

Postby FranW » 14 Jun 2010, 10:18

Is it time for readers to start commenting about the book?

I finished it yesterday. I haven't read Emma for >5 years, so I'm not really able to comment on how true to the original James Fairfax is. I did think that the prose style remained very Jane Austen-ish, though thankfully it was a bit more readable -- I think Adam C broke up some of those incredibly long sentences.

I liked that the book was in no way about being gay -- gay and straight were equally accepted, and sexuality was really pretty much invisible, in this alternate Regency world. It was, as per the original, about people falling in love or making marriages of convenience, about social status and wealth and class and property and titles, about friends and neighbours and families.

It made me remember why Emma was never a big favourite of mine -- she's not a character I much like, and though she largely redeems her silliness, snobbiness, vanity, and immaturity by the end, I got sick of her long before we hit that point. I also had a bit of a hard time keeping people straight, since there's a cast of thousands. But I did enjoy all the romances forming and breaking up, and Emma's gradual realisation that she is, of course, in love with Mr Knightly (though what he sees in her was a bit questionable). I liked that she was portrayed as bisexual, with her first romances being with her governess and with Harriet, followed by a flirtation with Frank Churchhill and then love with Mr Knightly. I liked how the relationship between James Fairfax and Frank Churchhill was handled, with Frank being constrained by She Who Held The Pursestrings as to where and how he would be allowed to marry. Mr Elton and his horrible wife were nicely done. Poor Miss Bates was delightfully ditzy; Emma's father was, for me, more tiresome than sympathetic, and I had a hard time understanding why everyone thought he was so wonderful and why all his stupid crotchets needed to be catered to.

All in all, quite an enjoyable read. I think the co-author did a good job of staying true to Jane Austen's work while delivering an entirely new take on the story. I noticed one error (the wrong character's name in one place) but other than that it was very clean and well-presented; I quite liked that they kept the period spellings such as "shewed" for "showed".

As an aside, I noticed that Norilana Press, a very small publisher with a lot less financial backing than BSB, can manage to sell this 500+ page trade paperback for $16.95. If they can do it, why can't lesfic presses? Is it possible lesfic presses are gouging their readers?
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: FRC Discussion: James Fairfax

Postby Athena » 17 Jun 2010, 03:47

I still haven't finished it but I noticed that in this novel the numbers are written differently than usual. Eight-and-thirty for example. At some point in the English languange this changed and you are writing thirty-eight now. Does anyone know when and why this changed?
Athena
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 17 Jun 2010, 08:45

That changed around the turn of the century, I think. The book retains the language that was contemporary to Jane Austen's time, and indeed retains much of her original prose.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 17 Jun 2010, 09:10

It retains very large amounts of the original prose. I am pleased I didn't re-read all of Emma, only enough to remind me of the storyline . I have almost finished the challenge so will feedback shortly.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 12 Jul 2010, 07:29

Now, ladies, this has been going on for a very long time. Let's have a progress check. I'm almost finished--as in down to the last few pages--so I expect everyone else to be nearly finished, too.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 12 Jul 2010, 08:27

:blush: Sorry, but I am still at the same 100 pages. I've had a lot to do and reading James Fairfax hasn't really appealed to me in my free time. Maybe I should really give up. I can't see myself having a lot of time to read in the next days.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 12 Jul 2010, 08:35

I will ensure I finish by Friday. I feel guilty every time I pick up anything else to read anyway as it's always at the back of my mind that I should be finishing the challenge.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Selkie » 12 Jul 2010, 14:10

:blush: I'm still stuck at page 70... I'll try my best to get through it by Monday (I shall be spending a lot of time in a vehicle next weekend - 4-5 hours each way - so hopefully I'll be able to finish it off then).
Make your own opportunities.
Selkie
Energetic and lively in discussions
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby FranW » 12 Jul 2010, 15:03

Uh-oh, I see a crucifixion in my future!
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 12 Jul 2010, 23:14

rofl rofl rofl
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to Reading Challenges