FRC: Pages For You by Sylvia Brownrigg

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

FRC: Pages For You by Sylvia Brownrigg

Postby Baker » 31 Jul 2010, 08:41

Right, intrepid forumites, it's Reading Challenge time again.

I know the last few challenges have been rather sprawling affairs, so let's get this back on track. Nurse Jo has selected this book for us:

Pages For You by Sylvia Brownrigg
Published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux 2001

In a steam-filled diner in an east coast college town, Californian freshman Flannery Jansen catches sight of the most beautiful person she's ever seen: a graduate student, reading. The seventeen-year-old is shocked by her own desire to follow this beauty wherever it might take her. As luck would have it, Flannery finds herself enrolled in a class with the remote, brilliant older woman: she is intimidated at first, but gradually becomes Anne Arden's student outside of class as well. Whatever the subject—Baudelaire, lipstick colors, or how to travel with a lover—Flannery proves an eager pupil, until one day she learns more about Anne than she ever wanted to know.

The idea is that you sign up to read this book on the expectation that you will be able to buy or borrow a copy and read it to participate in a group discussion in by the end of August. (That is, in about a month's time.) These challenges were started with the idea that they encourage people to read books out of their normal comfort zones. So, it exposes you to books you wouldn't normally read. Some you'll like, some you won't. You may surprise yourself in what you end up liking. Then you get to discuss them, ask questions, etc with everyone else who has just read the book, too. In the past we've had some lively discussions. With a few exceptions, the range of responses has been as wide as the tastes of the people reading the books: from didn't like the piece of junk to raving over a masterpiece--for the same book. All opinions are welcome. A lot of the fun is discussing a book with someone who had a different view of it. Don't be daunted if you think you won't be able to give what you imagine is the required feedback, because any sort of comment is valid. This is not a reading assignment in school: it's a discussion group. OK?

We have the discussion in a separate thread. In this thread, we can talk about who wants to participate, how much time you think you'll need, where to buy the
book, or if someone wants to borrow a copy, etc.

I'll also ask Nurse Jo to tell us why she picked this book. (She is not allowed to say that it was the first one she saw on her bookshelf when I reminded her it was time to pick one. ;) )

So, let's have a show of hands who will be participating in this challenge:

Nurse Jo
Baker
FranW
Wildlx
Proof
Cornelia
Elaine
Selkie
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Re: FRC: Pages For You by Sylvia Brownrigg

Postby wildlx » 31 Jul 2010, 11:47

I'll do it.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 31 Jul 2010, 13:13

Count me in too.
I promise that, unlike the last selection, I will read it in a timely fashion. I posted my comments to Beggar of Love so late that I don't think it was ever read by anyone. :oops:
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Cornelia » 01 Aug 2010, 16:03

I can get it; count me in please ;) I'm grateful for the choice, just read SBB and it is so sad & depressing...
take me Emma Peel, take me
Cornelia
Increasingly animated
Increasingly animated

Postby Proofrdr » 02 Aug 2010, 00:08

SBB is sad and depressing, but it's a story we need to know, don't you agree? Where we are now is so much better, but we're only a step or two away from that world. It's terrifying to think of, but especially important that young lesbians are aware that it existed, that is does exist.

A recent article in The Independent quoted a study of global lesbian, bisexual and gay rights. Seventy-six countries still prosecute people on the grounds of their sexual orientation, seven of which punish same-sex acts with death. Only fifty-three have anti-discrimination laws that apply to sexuality.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 02 Aug 2010, 01:14

I'm in and have ordered the book from B&N.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 02 Aug 2010, 03:54

Proofrdr wrote:SBB is sad and depressing, but it's a story we need to know, don't you agree? Where we are now is so much better, but we're only a step or two away from that world. It's terrifying to think of, but especially important that young lesbians are aware that it existed, that is does exist.

A recent article in The Independent quoted a study of global lesbian, bisexual and gay rights. Seventy-six countries still prosecute people on the grounds of their sexual orientation, seven of which punish same-sex acts with death. Only fifty-three have anti-discrimination laws that apply to sexuality.

I agree Proof. I will read SBB at some point, I just wanted something a little more upbeat at this precise moment in time. Apart from anything else, books chronicling our history should be read as a tribute to those brave women who paved the way, as well as a reminder of how far we have to go to attain equality.
Last edited by Nurse Jo on 02 Aug 2010, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 02 Aug 2010, 08:17

I've added you in, Cornelia and Elaine. :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 02 Aug 2010, 10:39

I understand and agre, Nurse Jo. I think SBB would be a hard FRC. I think it's a book to be read when you're ready. It took me a long time to get through it. I had to keep stopping and it made me cry...a lot. It was a book I had to ease my way through, but I am so glad I did. This may sound crazy, but it validated the fear that made me live my life the way I lived it.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 02 Aug 2010, 12:27

Makes perfect sense to me, Proof. (I cried too.)
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to Reading Challenges