FRC Discussion: Pages for You by Sylvia Brownrigg

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Re: FRC Discussion: Pages for You by Sylvia Brownrigg

Postby Nurse Jo » 16 Sep 2010, 07:21

I agree Proof - I appreciated the way that sexuality was not an issue. In many lesfic novels there would have been much additional drama as Anne left Flannery for a man. Flannery doesn't have long traumas about being a lesbian - she knows what she is and expends her energies in a most productive way. As I said, some of the beautiful sex scenes I have ever read. I mostly skip over sex scenes in lesfic novels now - I tend to find them formulaic. The imagery and intensity in Brownrigg's writing, all the senses awake and alert to the slightest stimulation without the need for one of the protaganists to have "hooded eyes" (that always makes me laugh, what is that all about, really?) or swollen organs that ejaculate.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 16 Sep 2010, 08:47

Oh dear, here we go again with hot, throbbing clits. lol
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 16 Sep 2010, 12:43

Nurse Jo wrote:In many lesfic novels there would have been much additional drama as Anne left Flannery for a man.

Which makes sense since most people (the ones I know in RL at least) would find the situation much more troublesome than if it was for a woman.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 16 Sep 2010, 13:05

But almost from the inception of her affair with Anne, Flannery has known that there is a space, a part of Anne that was sheltered from Flannery. All the experiences, the travel, the Anne years of becoming an adult before Flannery--those years Anne shared with Jasper. Flannery told Anne the choice to make. Flannery walked away from Anne. It wasn't the other way around. If it had been, wildlx, I be inclined to agree with you.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 16 Sep 2010, 20:29

Flannery walked away from Anne because Anne told her she was still in love with Jasper, not because she had stopped being in love with Anne. That makes all the difference.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 16 Sep 2010, 22:21

But Flannery knew this, sensed it almost from the very beginning. That's why she accepted it, albeit regretfully and painfully.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 17 Sep 2010, 01:07

I don't think she knew it from the beginning. There was a scene that I remember gripping me, where it dawns on her. Anne loved someone and it wasn't Flannery--something like that (something much better written!).
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 17 Sep 2010, 06:11

That was around the scene about jazz...when she watched Anne dancing to Thelonious Monkin the kitchen.

But even before that Brownrigg teased and hinted at the information. That first night in the apartment in NY, before anything happened, Anne looks up ...her eyes seemed darker. With lust, and with something else, too--like grief. Or doubt.

Then, when Anne tells about her forced piano lessons and how she almost never played anymore, Flannery tells her she will again:
PfY p. 159 wrote: "Yes. That's what--" she started. Then stopped.

That long dash, that hesitation: it came up at other times, too. Flannery heard it, but did not draw attention to it. She was aware of this space that Anne carefully sidestepped, and the more Anne didn't say, the more sense Flannery had of the contours of her silence: the shape of what she kept unsaid. Flannery felt old, knowing that this unspoken place was in Anne and that it remained untouched by Flannery. She knew she'd never get at it. Either because no one ever would; or because someone else already had.

"I love you," Anne told her somberly. "You're such a good soul, Flannery. I'm lucky. I'm lucky..." She couldn't finish the sentence.

Flannery loved to hear it, but she felt old knowing more than Anne knew.

"I could lie in your arms for years," Anne said to Flannery, But, privately, Flannery suspected she wouldn't.

There are more references to that space that's filled with someone else, but I think this is enough to support my perception that Flannery knew.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 17 Sep 2010, 07:15

Flannery knew that there had been other people in Anne's life. She didn't know that Anne still loved someone else, even if she knew that there had been someone important (e.g. the scene you quoted). After all, Anne repeatedly tells Flannery that she loves her. Only in the sex scene at the hotel in New Mexico does Flannery really become aware that Anne is not interested in continuing their relationship. That is when she walks away.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 17 Sep 2010, 07:50

Received it, read it, liked it a lot. Will write more when my brain is awake.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Reading Challenges