FRC Discussion: Pages for You by Sylvia Brownrigg

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Re: FRC Discussion: Pages for You by Sylvia Brownrigg

Postby Selkie » 23 Sep 2010, 02:11

Finished it!

I liked it but did not love it. The short chapters definitely took some getting used to, as did they writing style.

Aside from that, I thought it was a beautifully written story and I enjoyed the read.
Make your own opportunities.
Selkie
Energetic and lively in discussions
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby FranW » 23 Sep 2010, 07:36

Yup, Selkie, I thought that too. The short chapters drove me nuts. The writing style was unusual but elegant; the omniscient POV was also distintively unusual but it worked for the most part for me. I found the young protagonist a bit unrealistic, and I never got any sense of place, even though a lot of emphasis was put on describing setting details. However, overall I quite enjoyed it and would say it's several cuts above the usual lesfic fare.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 23 Sep 2010, 09:02

I don't think it helped that she never named the university. In my usual anal way, I tried to figure it out. Harvard? But she took some van from JFK airport--why would you ever do that? Yale? But some other reference sent me back to Mass.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 23 Sep 2010, 09:31

I didn't think the actual college name mattered. It was obviously New England and considering the direct train to NYC, it could have been Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, or Rhode Island. Any of them has the idyllic small college towns that are beautiful in autumn and become slush in winter.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 23 Sep 2010, 14:53

Brandeis?

It did matter to me. I thought at first we were in England, and then realised it was in the USA and thought maybe she was originally from California? Seattle? Montana? I felt confused, and felt that the info was deliberately withheld, and it didn't work for me.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 23 Sep 2010, 23:27

A diner named Yankee Doodle serving a jelly omelet in England? That would reflect a restaurateur with a droll sense of humor. ;)
There's a description somewhere in the first few pages of the fake Gothic buildings--that points to New England rather than old. And there are the several references to her coming East from the West, and of Cheryl, another Westerner. That's more an American locale designation than British.

I must admit I've read the book too often now to remember how not immediately knowing she came from California affected my first understanding of her, but I do know I understood she was an American West Coast girl.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 23 Sep 2010, 23:48

I realised pretty quickly that the college was in New England. Not having a specific location wasn't an issue for me.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to Reading Challenges