FRC: Stone Butch Blues

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Re: FRC: Stone Butch Blues

Postby Nurse Jo » 28 Nov 2010, 09:19

Yes, I've started. Wildlx sent me her copy with a note telling me not to cry TOO much whilst reading it. She knows me well lol . Well, I've read the first couple of chapters and it's so desperately, terribly sad and hopeless. Dreary, suffocating and horrible. I knew this all happpened but this makes it more personal. I did verbally precis the first few chapters of the book to Sue and she said it wasn't for her as she likes to be cheered up in her leisure time.

How are you finding it?
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 28 Nov 2010, 09:24

This is NOT a feel good book, but it is an accurate history of life in the US for lesbians. <sigh> It almost makes me acknowledge how far we have come and then I read about the Senator who's spouting his belief that lesbians should be allowed to serve in the Armed Services, that way the "real" men can show them what they're missing and straighten them out. Pun fully intended.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 28 Nov 2010, 10:02

Nurse Jo wrote:I knew this all happpened but this makes it more personal.

Yup, that's precisely how I felt.

You know that the stuff happened "in theory", but when you watch it unfold and happen to someone you care about -- and that's why the story works, because the author makes you care about the character -- then it's gutwrenching, because you know that it's not just fiction, that it really really did happen to lots of women just like you, and that if you had been in that time and place it would've happened to you too. And then you find yourself with the frightening realisation that the system protected the cops who raped and beat the gays, and that system hasn't changed. And then you want to get a lead pipe and start swinging it at pretty much everyone.

With "you", of course, being me.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 01 Dec 2010, 08:31

Nurse Jo wrote:How are you finding it?

By the sounds of things, I'm an odd duck on this one. I've not felt pulled into the book. I don't feel much attachment to Jess. The closest I can come to is reading an anthropology text: where you're reading about a strange culture that is interesting but not involving. :dunno: It's the sort of book I could put down at any point and not feel cheated out of reading the rest. But I shall finish it.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 01 Dec 2010, 09:14

No, you're not an odd duck there.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 01 Dec 2010, 09:59

So is/was the butch-fem culture an American thing? Or is that not the issue?
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 01 Dec 2010, 10:41

We've discussed the butch/femme things a few times on the forum, and it does seem to be uniquely American. It's amazing the extent to which a minority group imposed artificial gender roles on its own members, and punished transgressions, when the reason they are an outcast minority is for gender role transgressions. I'm not doubting it happened. But it just seems so very alien to me. So much so that the prose can't pull me--clearly this isn't the case for most readers--into the story to empathise with the characters. It's well written, and I have no doubt it works great for others. I'm, perhaps, just a bridge too far away for it to work. :dunno:

You felt distanced, too, Wild? Hmm. Maybe I ought to start a discussion thread? :thinking: Except Jo and I haven't finished the book yet.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby ElaineB » 03 Dec 2010, 06:04

So I tried skimming through the book to refresh my memory. Had to stop. Just so dang depressing and sad. But I did note a few bits worthy of discussion and look forward to it.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Selkie » 03 Dec 2010, 06:22

It's been a couple years since I read it, but I might join in the discussion if I remember enough. Not going to re-read it, though, it's far too depressing.
Make your own opportunities.
Selkie
Energetic and lively in discussions
Energetic and lively in discussions

Previous

Return to Reading Challenges