Book 2: Solitaire

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Re: Book 2: Solitaire

Postby grewgirl » 05 Jun 2011, 16:21

Hm. I liked it, I think. I mean, she pissed me off, got me nervous, and had me screaming "don't do it" among other things. Would I give it 5 stars? Probably not. I really liked the world that she created - it wasn't so far into the future that it felt contrived - it was believable enough without detailed explanations for how and why the world even needed a Hope.

I too thought the elevator scene was contrived, and I was pissed that everyone knew she was a False Hope, and yet they played likeJacka had set out to deceive them instead of the other way around. I was pissed when they abandoned her - after all, they had put her on the pedestal that they gleefully knocked out from under her feet. The whole concept of Ko was unsettling - no one organization needs or should have that kind of power or presence. Eerie.

I had a hard time getting in to the book at first - I think I started and stopped three times before I made myself sit still and just read. As an anxious reader, the whole part of her being in confinement was painful to read. I can't fathom being alone for that long - I'd be as batty as Estar!

So yeah..I gave it 3+stars . After reading what others thought, I can see why it might get 4, but it just didn't move me the way that the Blue Place did. I did find myself comparing it to Slow River, though. Weird.
"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Bernard Baruch
grewgirl
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby ElaineB » 05 Jun 2011, 23:36

Interesting. I didn't like Slow River all that much, but now that you mention it, there are similarities. Maybe I should try it again. I was very worried about the confinement section. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. A combination of her handling it well (the writer, not the prisoner) and Jackel finding a way out.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 06 Jun 2011, 02:00

I find it interesting that some of you compare this book to the Aud books of Griffith. I have not yet read them; could someone explain the common element that suggests a comparison?
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 06 Jun 2011, 02:20

Well, both writers like near-future settings with mind-altering technology. Aud is not so much that but the character is kind of superhuman. Slow River is closer to Solitaire, though I'm struggling to remember what it's about. As I recall it kind of works backwards as the main character tries to rebuild her life after a horrific event of some sort. Hmm, sound familiar? There's also an elegance to their prose.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby grewgirl » 06 Jun 2011, 06:01

My comparison to the Aud books is purely because that was my five star review last year. I think the Slow River comparison stems from the way that both of the MC's spend a significant part of the book trying to define who they are after a life altering personal tragedy. It may have also had something to do with them both coming from ver believable dysfunctional environments.
"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Bernard Baruch
grewgirl

Postby Proofrdr » 06 Jun 2011, 06:40

Ah, those make sense. I guess I have to read more of Griffith. I've only read Ammonite.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 06 Jun 2011, 08:05

Proofrdr wrote:I find it interesting that some of you compare this book to the Aud books of Griffith. I have not yet read them; could someone explain the common element that suggests a comparison?

For me, the common element was that Eskridge and Griffith are married to each other :oops:

And now I've realised that even if I ever write something really good, readers will go "Well, it was okay, but she doesn't write as well as L-J Baker...." :mad: :mad: :mad:
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 06 Jun 2011, 08:11

Proofrdr wrote:Ah, those make sense. I guess I have to read more of Griffith. I've only read Ammonite.

You should, Proof. IMO, Slow River is better than Ammonite, and the first two books of the Aud series are also very good.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 06 Jun 2011, 09:08

Yes, I really enjoyed Slow River.

I shall finish Solitaire this weekend. I've got stuck at the elevator scene.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 06 Jun 2011, 11:42

Fran! lol lol lol
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Reading Challenges