Reading Challenge 2012 Lesbian Fiction

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Reading Challenge 2012 Lesbian Fiction

Postby deej » 11 Jan 2012, 00:51

Okay Ladies - a couple new formats for 2012. First we're going to have two challenges and you can choose or not to participate in either one or both, your choice.

This challenge is for Lesbian Fiction - What books moved you that you want to share and discuss? You have two weeks till the end of January to get your suggestions in - then we'll pick the winners and order and we'll give the readers three weeks to get the book and discuss it. Elaine B will be heading up this Challenge.

Hopefully we can make this a great 2012 Challenge
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Reading Challenge 2012 Lesbian Fiction

Postby ElaineB » 11 Jan 2012, 06:22

Oh, this is mine, huh? Thanks a lot. ;)

OK. What do we want to read? Something new to everyone or something someone liked that the others should read? Let's start a list (I'll have to check what's on my to-read shelf).

Personally, I'm trying to focus on more mainstream lesbian fiction (vs. Romance) or mysteries (not into horror or erotica, sorry--but others are welcome to suggest some of those), without going all highbrow (no Jeannette Winterson, for example).

I have Clifford Henderson's Spanking New to read and I highly recommend her stuff. But post what you're interested in and we can pick some.

Thanks!

Edited to update:

OK, here's the start of a list:
1. Spanking New by Clifford Henderson
2. Falling to Earth by Elizabeth Brownrigg
3. Unusual Company by Margaret Erhart

Let's get some more suggestions before we commit.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 11 Jan 2012, 06:43

I've heard great things about Spanking New. :-) Let's definitely put that on the list.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 11 Jan 2012, 09:49

I've not read any of Clifford Henderson's books so maybe I should. Maybe this would be the time to do it :) . This would be a personal challenge as I would not be likely to randomly buy it and read it otherwise.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Lt Sue » 11 Jan 2012, 23:46

I'm in - Spanking New looks as good as any to start us off
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue
Enthusiatically participating

Postby Selkie » 12 Jan 2012, 00:56

I actually read Spanking New just last week, so that works for me. :sweat:
Make your own opportunities.
Selkie
Energetic and lively in discussions
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby Baker » 12 Jan 2012, 06:28

Falling to Earth by Elizabeth Brownrigg.
This is one Wild lent me that I have yet to read.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby ElaineB » 12 Jan 2012, 10:02

Did she do Pages for You?
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Lt Sue » 12 Jan 2012, 10:10

ElaineB wrote:Did she do Pages for You?

She did - and this is what I had to say... lol

2nd Lt Sue wrote:I tried to like this book...really. But NOTHING HAPPENS! Lots of moping around and going to class. No murders, no mystery and no time travel. I'm halfway through and doubt I'll bother finishing. I liked the prologue - the analogy of the cruise ship was a good one...but the rest left me cold. Sorry. Tanner - you can have it back... :whistle:

On the up side - Ruth Perkinson has just released a new book:-

Being a plain Jane has never bothered Deputy Blair Wingfield. She's welcome enough at the local grocery-bar-tackle shop, The Mystic Market. Ruggedly beautiful Jackson Hole, Wyoming, is a town on the edge of vast stretches of wilderness, and the present has caught up with a vengeance.

Already embittered by family tragedies, Blair is plunged into anguish and questioning when the local high school's star forward commits suicide, leaving behind bitter accusations of anti-gay bullying. The girl's story galvanizes young attorney Emma Jacobs into leading the charge against the school district's failure to protect one of its own.

Beset with personal troubles, stunned at her own soul-searching and caught between the law and politics, Blair tries to find some semblance of calm and control. But every time she clashes with Emma there is little of either to be found. Something else entirely wants to grow out of Blair's uncertainties...

Ruth Perkinson confronts the tragedy of teen suicide amidst the hope, courage and faith of a small town and newfound belief in love.
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue

Postby wildlx » 12 Jan 2012, 22:06

ElaineB wrote:Did she do Pages for You?

She didn't. Pages for you is by Sylvia Brownrigg.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to Reading Challenges