Reading Challenge 2012 Other than Lesbian Fiction

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Re: Reading Challenge 2012 Other than Lesbian Fiction

Postby Nurse Jo » 05 Jul 2012, 08:06

I am too :) .
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 06 Jul 2012, 07:19

Okay. Any preference for what we read?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 06 Jul 2012, 07:47

Thinking Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman ?
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 06 Jul 2012, 08:06

Sounds fine to me. Jo?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 06 Jul 2012, 08:55

Yep, I need to finish The Diary Of an Edwardian Lady first though , I have an omnibus edition. I'm enjoying it very much. It's my treat every night for 1/4 hour. Wildlx, I can see why much of it reminded you of me! I am constantly thinking, I think things like that or worry about some of the same things in the same way. I love the description of living in a village. Having lived in a village for 10 years, although many things have changed, many essential things have stayed the same. The village community putting on 'shows' in the church hall. The vicar and wife (although now it's the vicar and husband or vicar and partner etc) are still at the heart of the community as everyone kind of owns the Parish church, even if they don't go there on Sundays. The eccentric characters, oh, it's all very recognisable. Even here in Suffolk, living in the suburbs, there is still some semblance of that left in the local community.

Anyway, yes to the next book but will probably not start until August at earliest.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Lt Sue » 08 Jul 2012, 04:53

I've ordered the book from the library because it was over £30 to buy. However, we are 3 in a queue of 3, so may take some time to arrive.

Wildsx, we coud bring it over when we visit and all read it at one on the beach!!!
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue
Enthusiatically participating
Enthusiatically participating

Postby Baker » 08 Jul 2012, 09:10

Oh my, that sounds jolly. Just be careful where you splash the suncreen since it's a loaner.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 08 Jul 2012, 12:46

2nd Lt Sue wrote:Wildsx, we coud bring it over when we visit and all read it at one on the beach!!!

lol I think I can get my hands on the ebook using a mobi file from my brother in law. BTW, you can get the epub for £5.49 here, http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSear ... 0105463166 or here, http://ebooks.foyles.co.uk/search_for-t ... nd%20slow/
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby gill » 08 Jul 2012, 22:26

2nd Lt Sue wrote:I've ordered the book from the library because it was over £30 to buy.

Really? I've seen it for about £4 for a new ppb on Amazon UK? Am I looking at the correct book? :dunno:

But maybe you prefer to read 30lb hardcovers on the beach. lol
gill
Lively participant
Lively participant

Postby Nurse Jo » 09 Jul 2012, 07:30

Hardcover - remember we only have hand luggage honey :) . And last time I had to do some ingenious repacking to get everything in on the return trip. Including the iron tea light holders which have a pointed end to push into the ground , these got me into trouble at security :blush: .
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Reading Challenges