Lesfic Book 1: Spanking New

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Re: Lesfic Book 1: Spanking New

Postby Lt Sue » 13 Feb 2012, 21:29

Nurse Jo wrote:Anyway, I must read Spanking New (I do hope the title is tongue- in -cheek) once Sue tells me where it is.

It is soon to be on my e-reader dearest.
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue
Enthusiatically participating

Postby Lt Sue » 05 Mar 2012, 04:48

Very disappointed in this book. Took me ages to get into it and then it finished and I thought what was the point? It seemed that the author never fully developed a plot strand and left me feeling unfulfilled. For example, Spanky thinking she was a boy and being a girl...only to forget everything when she was born? I didn't really "get" Nick either, if his parents marriage was such a wreck, why was he so keen to get married?

By the end of the book I was thinking what is the point of all this? And the New Age stuff? Really? It wasn't even that funny and I found a typo!

<sigh> 2 stars for being technically well-written and a novel storyline.

Hope the next one is better!
Lt Sue

Postby Lt Sue » 05 Mar 2012, 04:48

PS. How are you getting on Proof?
Lt Sue

Postby Proofrdr » 05 Mar 2012, 05:07

I'm stumped at about page 40. I simply can't get into it...and the strength of the writing is not great enough to keep me reading. I keep picking it up and, after a few pages, switching to something else. I really enjoyed her first book. Maybe my expectations are too high.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Crisco » 05 Mar 2012, 23:26

Having only read the blurb and the prologue of this book online, I was a bit surprised to find that the two questions from the blurb (will they conceive the baby and keep it?) are answered within that prologue. I didn't really feel the need to read on after that... :dunno:
Crisco

Postby Lt Sue » 06 Mar 2012, 00:09

Crisco wrote:Having only read the blurb and the prologue of this book online, I was a bit surprised to find that the two questions from the blurb (will they conceive the baby and keep it?) are answered within that prologue. I didn't really feel the need to read on after that... :dunno:

Exactly :-)
Lt Sue

Postby Selkie » 06 Mar 2012, 17:17

I actually read this book back in January, and while it was interesting idea, it never grabbed me. I was never invested in the characters, and Spanky annoyed me at times. It was well-written, and I'm glad I took the time to read it, but I won't be reading it again.

In the end, I can see how other people could thoroughly enjoy the book, but it wasn't quite my cup of tea. I would give it 3stars.
Make your own opportunities.
Selkie
Energetic and lively in discussions
Energetic and lively in discussions

Postby Jove » 04 Aug 2012, 15:23

Proofrdr wrote:I'm stumped at about page 40. I simply can't get into it...and the strength of the writing is not great enough to keep me reading. I keep picking it up and, after a few pages, switching to something else. I really enjoyed her first book. Maybe my expectations are too high.

I LOVE Cliffi. Middle of Somewhere was an awesome read. I haven't read this book (but then I haven't read much of anything in the past 2 years), so I'm not really in a position to comment beyond that.
You must be the change you want to see in the world. ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Jove
A little more activity
A little more activity

Postby Proofrdr » 04 Aug 2012, 23:41

I finally did finish it. I agree with Selkie...it's just not my kind of book. It never did grip my attention the way Middle of Nowhere did. That said, I do enjoy Henderson's writing--sentence structure, diction, syntax--she knows how to string the words together.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Previous

Return to Reading Challenges