Lesfic Book 1: Spanking New

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Re: Lesfic Book 1: Spanking New

Postby Proofrdr » 12 Feb 2012, 00:10

You're very welcome. :blush:

As to those electronic things that don't respond to you...doesn't Sue take care of that for you? I know that's my job with Athena, and Deej with Sammi.
Image
User avatar
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum
 
Posts: 6768
Joined: 25 Mar 2010, 07:56
Location: RI, USA

Re: Lesfic Book 1: Spanking New

Postby deej » 12 Feb 2012, 00:12

Guess what I'm doing this morning as a matter of fact. rofl She wants some books loaded onto her Nook.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
User avatar
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum
 
Posts: 10706
Joined: 19 Mar 2010, 11:16
Location: Pennslyvania, USA

Re: Lesfic Book 1: Spanking New

Postby Proofrdr » 12 Feb 2012, 00:55

Athena doesn't even say anything, she just hands me whatever needs tending. lol
Image
User avatar
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum
 
Posts: 6768
Joined: 25 Mar 2010, 07:56
Location: RI, USA

Re: Lesfic Book 1: Spanking New

Postby Nurse Jo » 12 Feb 2012, 03:06

Proofrdr wrote:You're very welcome. :blush:

As to those electronic things that don't respond to you...doesn't Sue take care of that for you? I know that's my job with Athena, and Deej with Sammi.


No, that definitely isn't the case with us. Sometimes she'll know the answer but I certainly don't hand over electronic things to her routinely. She'd hand them straight back and tell me to sort it myself - which I usually do, eventually. She knows a little more than me and will often point me in the right direction but neither of us are computer whizzes. Neither of us find the inner workings of electronic items in the least bit fascinating. Although luckily Sue's dad was an elctronic engineer. We both tend to operate on a need to know basis, Sue tends to need to know more as she does more on the computer.

The only thing I absolutely hand over to Sue is onion chopping!!
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
User avatar
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum
 
Posts: 3091
Joined: 25 Mar 2010, 06:32
Location: Suffolk UK

Re: Lesfic Book 1: Spanking New

Postby Proofrdr » 12 Feb 2012, 03:18

Wise woman at that! lol
Image
User avatar
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum
 
Posts: 6768
Joined: 25 Mar 2010, 07:56
Location: RI, USA

Re: Lesfic Book 1: Spanking New

Postby Baker » 12 Feb 2012, 08:10

Nurse Jo wrote:So Susan, let me get this correct. You are stating that the only reason you read books with lesbian content is the sex - so why not just read lesbian erotica? This is not a new debate that the 2ndLt and I are having, dear forumites.

Well, the way Sue wrote it, one interpretation does seem to be that she equates lesbian content with sex. From a non-lesbian, that might make sense--since non-homos seem to define us in terms of bedroom practice, and tend to forget that we exist beyond that. Since this is an ongoing discussion, I assume this is her short-hand. Or not? Sue, you don't really mean that what makes a book lesbian is sex?

Nurse Jo wrote:I read les fic becuse I hope to find a woman centred story. I like it to have political awareness and connect with the issues I personally find important. I like it to have a message but for that message to be a thoughtful nudge rather than a sermon. I want a book to make me feel - whether that feeling is anger or happiness or sadness. I want the writing to make me feel joyful, even when the subject matter is difficult.

Me, too. :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
User avatar
Baker
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8622
Joined: 19 Mar 2010, 11:10
Location: New Zealand

Re: Lesfic Book 1: Spanking New

Postby deej » 13 Feb 2012, 04:22

Okay ladies - back on track here. Spanking New by Clifford Henderson

I finished Spanking New and honestly I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand I am in awe of anyone who can think up a plot like this and make it work and Clifford Henderson definitely made it work. There were times I wondered if it could be true, if in fact all embryo's might be like this? Then my cynical self said, "can't be, we'd choose more wisely." rofl At least I hope I would have.

I think the book was well written, though at times I did have trouble following who's POV we were in, since almost everyone had one. I loved all the thought that went into how a baby develops and that "could" be going through their mind.

NEXT?
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
User avatar
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum
 
Posts: 10706
Joined: 19 Mar 2010, 11:16
Location: Pennslyvania, USA

Re: Lesfic Book 1: Spanking New

Postby ElaineB » 13 Feb 2012, 04:37

I loved this. For awhile this seemed headed for five stars, it was that good. Great voice, this Floating Soul who narrates with the ability to head hop. This is omniscient head hopping done well. We have a tour guide through the psyches, an interpreter, so we are never confused, at least I wasn't, for most of it. Yet with this ability to get close to everyone, no one gets left out or is left flat. Even the character with the smallest part, although a significant one, is so fully realized that I cried. Several times. Sometimes from sadness, sometimes from sheer delight.

Our narrator, this Floating Soul, embarks on a journey to find parents and become anchored. While a big deal is made in the promos for this book that the soul thinks he’s a boy only to find out he’s going to be a girl, there isn’t a ton of time spent on that. Just a few complaints here and there: when Mom goes baby clothes shopping or when Spanky laments her dad might not want to shoot hoops with her. She does gradually grasp that gender is a fluid thing and no one fits into neat categories, but it’s not the big crisis of her existence. Just getting born takes up a lot of that energy. Will Nina want to keep her, is the first hurdle.

The writing is pitch perfect. The narrator is clever, knowing (because he/she comes from The Known, after all), and funny as heck. Her observations of how people interact are a lesson for us all. People act really weird. This is like imagining what aliens would think of us. It’s a wonder Spanky chose to stick around, frankly, the way some of these people behave.

I became very attached to these characters. Just about all of them. Charlotte might be the least realized, but there’s such a large cast that they can’t all have equal weight. For a lesbian-published book, however, I do wish lesbianism had a bigger part.

I thought the story moved along well, but never hit truly big crises. Never gets so close to the edge of the cliff that you are really not sure what will happen. Spanky is, by design and fate, merely a spectator for most of the story. There is little he/she can do to alter events. At least until she gains the corporeal capacity to kick. But even then, she has no control over interpretation. It remains a really good read, though. There’s a direction the story could have gone in that I’d have found more satisfying, but it might have been more predictable and stereotypical for some of the characters.

Clifford Henderson now has three books under her belt. This was her second. All are terrific. Her background in improv and performance brings a freshness to her stories. Maybe it’s just that she really gets how to bring characters to life, what those little details are that make an impression. She also juggles a large cast of characters with ease. Amazing, really. The only time I got lost was once Spanky started referring to Mom and Dad. Suddenly, with all these other moms and dads in the cast, I lost track of who was whom. I missed Nina and Rick and had to remember they were the same people. It’s a reverse of what we go through as kids, where we only ever know Mom and Dad, but one day, usually when we are much older, we suddenly learn they had a life before us, when they were Nina and Rick, with lives that predated us. It’s a weird feeling.

I loved how she brought some deep, New Age thinking into a light-hearted romp through creation. I remember reading something somewhere that babies are supposedly born knowing everything, but then they forget. It was fun to see how this might work. And, frankly, I found it as plausible as anything else I’ve encountered.

I think Clifford Henderson is capable of great things as a writer. I will happily read anything she writes.
User avatar
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum
 
Posts: 6625
Joined: 23 Mar 2010, 01:11
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Re: Lesfic Book 1: Spanking New

Postby deej » 13 Feb 2012, 05:35

ElaineB wrote: For awhile this seemed headed for five stars, it was that good. Great voice, this Floating Soul who narrates with the ability to head hop. This is omniscient head hopping done well. We have a tour guide through the psyches, an interpreter, so we are never confused, at least I wasn't, for most of it.


For me it was a strong 3.5stars or 4stars
ElaineB wrote:Our narrator, this Floating Soul, embarks on a journey to find parents and become anchored. While a big deal is made in the promos for this book that the soul thinks he’s a boy only to find out he’s going to be a girl, there isn’t a ton of time spent on that.


Actually I disagree about this point. All through the first half of the book Spanky thought she was a boy and was very excited. When Nina/Mom announced she was a girl, Spanky was upset. She continued to hope through development that she would grow an outy peepe, and was upset when she didn't.

ElaineB wrote:The writing is pitch perfect. The narrator is clever, knowing (because he/she comes from The Known, after all), and funny as heck. Her observations of how people interact are a lesson for us all. People act really weird. This is like imagining what aliens would think of us. It’s a wonder Spanky chose to stick around, frankly, the way some of these people behave.

I agree totally. Everyone including the Sistahs all acted accordingly. That was well done and again I am in awe.

ElaineB wrote:I became very attached to these characters. Just about all of them. Charlotte might be the least realized, but there’s such a large cast that they can’t all have equal weight. For a lesbian-published book, however, I do wish lesbianism had a bigger part.

The author saved Charlotte in the end and that was done beautifully for me.

ElaineB wrote:I thought the story moved along well, but never hit truly big crises. Never gets so close to the edge of the cliff that you are really not sure what will happen. Spanky is, by design and fate, merely a spectator for most of the story. There is little he/she can do to alter events. At least until she gains the corporeal capacity to kick. But even then, she has no control over interpretation. It remains a really good read, though. There’s a direction the story could have gone in that I’d have found more satisfying, but it might have been more predictable and stereotypical for some of the characters.


Yes, for me I felt a little let down and yet I don't know what I expected differently.


ElaineB wrote:I loved how she brought some deep, New Age thinking into a light-hearted romp through creation. I remember reading something somewhere that babies are supposedly born knowing everything, but then they forget. It was fun to see how this might work. And, frankly, I found it as plausible as anything else I’ve encountered.



Yes, she left me wondering about a great many things in the end, in a good way.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
User avatar
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum
 
Posts: 10706
Joined: 19 Mar 2010, 11:16
Location: Pennslyvania, USA

Re: Lesfic Book 1: Spanking New

Postby ElaineB » 13 Feb 2012, 08:50

I actually thought much of the focus of the story shifted from Spanky and her gender to the Love Happening.

Here's what I wanted to happen:
Spoiler : Warning :
I wanted Rick to somehow fall through and Nina to end up with Dink. And Dink never let Nina know how she feels about her. Not that I could picture a way for her to, or would have myself, but I just felt they should be together. Plus, it could have made a point about how families are formed. Spanky liked Dink from the start, but as an aunt, not as a potential mother.
User avatar
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum
 
Posts: 6625
Joined: 23 Mar 2010, 01:11
Location: Massachusetts, USA

PreviousNext

Return to Reading Challenges

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron