FRC2012: The Unicorn by Iris Murdoch.

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

FRC2012: The Unicorn by Iris Murdoch.

Postby Baker » 29 Feb 2012, 06:46

Have we all acquired a copy? I have heard that Wild has started reading. I have, too. Anyone else?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Re: FRC2012: The Unicorn by Iris Murdoch.

Postby Nurse Jo » 29 Feb 2012, 07:29

I've started too.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 29 Feb 2012, 12:20

Yes, I'm well into it too.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 01 Mar 2012, 07:12

Super. :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Baker » 03 Mar 2012, 08:15

Okay, I have to admit that, so far, I find myself appreciating this book more as a writer than a reader. By which I mean I find myself pausing to mull over a phrase in appreciation, but I have yet to be pulled into the story.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 03 Mar 2012, 08:43

Yep, I don't write but do understand your sentiment Baker. I'm enjoying the writing without being at all involved with the characters . I'm not in the slightest bothered about the outcome of the story! It's not that the characterisation is weak but it seems at a remove. I feel like a voyeur looking in at some bizarre gothic-lite story in black and white, with maybe a couple of characers in faded colour to make them stand out. All the brooding cliffs, the water imagery with the ponds and fish, the remote setting, the religious references - they are all spot on, almost too much, too cleverly done. Water seems to be a particular thing for Murdoch and was used metaphorically in The Bell (I read this many years ago) extensively. I seem to remember writing an essay about it for my A levels!

Anyway, I feel as if I am reading a period documentary, interesting but not real life. Although many of the deeper messages, about redemption for example, are obviously still relevant I feel unaffected by this book emotionally. I am not necessarily unaffected intellectually. One has to stop and ponder and think whilst reading - and not about the storyline either.

I wonder if we are meant to be voyeurs? The characters are all fairly stereotypical British figures, I wonder what lessons we should be learning from their inwardly complicated but outwardly respectable, lives?
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 03 Mar 2012, 10:42

I felt the same way! I was going so slowly, not out of disinterest, but for all the backtracking to reread phrases, descriptions, observations. Great writing! Then WHAM, I was slammed into the story. Keep going...it'll hook you. ;)
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 03 Mar 2012, 10:47

Yes. I don't give a damn about any of the characters, with the exception of Effie, who has a bigger ego than I can stand.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 12 Mar 2012, 06:15

Having a hard time with this book.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 12 Mar 2012, 09:58

You're not alone...
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Next

Return to Reading Challenges