FRC2012: The Unicorn by Iris Murdoch.

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Re: FRC2012: The Unicorn by Iris Murdoch.

Postby FranW » 14 Mar 2012, 19:02

My diagnosis is that a brilliant literary writer decided to write the gothicest of gothics with the tragicest of tragic heroines, the misogynisticest of misogynistic heroes, the sterotypicalist of stereotypical heroines, the broodingest of brooding mansions, the miserableist of miserable men, the vilest of vile faggots, the evilist of evil husbands, the spookiest of spooky housekeepers, the isolatedest of isolated locations, the.....

Yeah. Props for the prose and effort, but not something I'd want to bore myself again anytime soon. I give it Image Image
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 14 Mar 2012, 19:35

wildlx wrote:Yes. I don't give a damn about any of the characters, with the exception of Effie, who has a bigger ego than I can stand.

And his ego gets bigger and bigger until he thinks to himself, "Phew! I only survived this godawful book because I have such an enormous massive ego!"

No, I am not kidding. He really does.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby ElaineB » 15 Mar 2012, 01:27

FranW wrote:I give it Image Image

Those are sporks? I thought they were tampons. lol
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Sacchi » 15 Mar 2012, 02:22

Sporks? That's a relief! I thought they were rather deformed hands with thumbs down.
Sacchi
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 15 Mar 2012, 06:45

Since Fran has finished the book, I have no excuse not to continue reading. As she and I discussed, this book comes across as someone who set herself the intellectual challenge of writing a modern gothic, rather than someone who was in any way, shape, or form emotionally invested with any of the characters and what they do. Although, of course, they do very little. They have entirely too much interior life and no exterior life. Yes, that matches the stupefying living death/imprisonment etc of Hannah and the other inmates of Gaze. but it needs something from the author, something more, to make this more than what comes across to me as an arid intellectual exercise. Ann Radcliffe's writing was packed with unlikely situations, strange happenings, and heroines bursting with sensibility: exactly the sort of writing you'd expect to appeal to repressed, hot-house young women. The Unicorn is coming across like a sneering intellectual's criticism of the genre by proving she can imitate the form and produce something incredibly dull, dry, and packed with almost self-referential philosophy. Entirely bloodless.

But it might get better...
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 16 Mar 2012, 12:19

Okay, I finished. I feel duped. I was going along enjoying the writing--not knowing where it was going, not warming up to the characters, not at all involved in the plot, but enjoying the writing nonetheless. Then, the plot to kidnap drew me in. All sorts of possibilities urged me forward, but it just flailed along.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 17 Mar 2012, 06:40

Uh oh. Your "stick with it, it gets beter" post was a large chunk of what has kept me reading. Now...
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 17 Mar 2012, 08:15

Baker, I know that the temptation is big, but this is a challenge! If you will not keep reading I will not also ;-).
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby deej » 17 Mar 2012, 08:23

Ladies, ladies, ladies - that's what challenge means. rofl
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 17 Mar 2012, 08:59

Wait a minute! I stayed with that damned thing to the bitter end so we could discuss it. You can't quit!
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Reading Challenges