2RC2012: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Re: 2RC2012: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Postby Proofrdr » 01 May 2012, 08:54

I think I just saved myself on this one. Yesterday I checked our library's e-site and they have it in audio book form. I'm moving along swimmingly now. I enjoyed the first part because of the locale. I spent many weeks in Bursa and environs and a month in Izmir [Smyrna]. And I've live in the Greek family ethos for more than half my life, so that makes it interesting. Detroit is a little boring and, damn, he meanders far afield at times!

The fellow who is reading is doing a good job of it except when he tries to effect the Greek accent in the dialog. It sounds much more Yiddish than Greek and has made me laugh out loud a couple of times.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 01 May 2012, 08:56

I had no idea the readers of audio books did accents!
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 01 May 2012, 09:17

This one does, but I've never listened to an audio book before, so I don't know if that's de rigueur.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 01 May 2012, 13:39

Considering how much trouble even native English speakers have with the accents of other English speakers, let alone non-native accents, this could be a recipe for mass non-comprehension. If I had to listen to someone with a Southern USA accent read anything, I doubt I'd make it past chapter one. Of course, there is also the chance for much hilarity if I heard someone trying to fake, say, a Kiwi accent.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Proofrdr » 01 May 2012, 22:58

Some books need an accent because one is written into it, particularly if there is a narrator. When I read Pat Conroy's The Prince of Tides, I heard the narrator's voice in my head through the entire book and it was a soft Southern accent. It wouldn't be right if it weren't read with a Southern accent. Another book like that is Carson McCuller's To Kill a Mockingbird.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 02 May 2012, 05:08

:scratch: Proof were you thinking of Harper Lee or did you mention the right author and the wrong book e.g. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter ;-)?
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Proofrdr » 02 May 2012, 05:27

Ack! This is not my day. Another mistake! I was thinking of both books, started to write Heart, then decided that Mockingbird was a better example, but neglected to change the author's name. I need an editor today.
Proofrdr
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 02 May 2012, 05:30

lol
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Lt Sue » 02 May 2012, 21:51

Finished... :preen:

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides is told by Cal, a hermaphrodite who was raised as a girl until adolescence. Cal tells the story of his family of Greek immigrants over three generations, weaving a tale of mythic quality that is at the same time as down-to-earth as the motor city in which they live. Like Cal, Middlesex defies classification. It is more than a sex/gender story, more than an immigrant story, more than a coming of age tale. Eugenides' superb writing and well developed characters create a novel that is large, engrossing and enjoyable.

My thoughts above...written by someone else!
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue
Enthusiatically participating

Postby Lt Sue » 02 May 2012, 21:53

Baker wrote:Is anyone else having problems with how Cal the girl is portrayed? I don't mean the bits at the girls' school Sue finds so boring. Cal is reared as a girl, and we're supposed to be seeing her as a 'normal' girl until puberty rears its ugly head.

I think Callie/Cal is neither boy nor girl in voice or portrayal...
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue

PreviousNext

Return to Reading Challenges