Lesfic Book 2: The Mystic Market

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Lesfic Book 2: The Mystic Market

Postby ElaineB » 04 Jul 2012, 09:23

The Mystic Market by Ruth Perkinson
Bella Books, 2011

Blurb: Being a plain Jane has never bothered Blair Wingfield, especially since it suits her job as a deputy sheriff. Ruggedly beautiful Jackson Hole, Wyoming, is a town on the edge of vast stretches of wilderness, and the present has caught up with a vengeance. Never certain of her personal beliefs, Blair is plunged into anguish and questioning when the local high school’s star forward commits suicide, leaving behind bitter accusations of anti-gay bullying. The girl’s story galvanizes young attorney Emma Jacobs into leading the charge against the school district’s failure to protect one of its own. Beset with family troubles, stunned at her own soul-searching and caught between the law and politics, Blair tries to find some semblance of calm and control. But every time she clashes with Emma there is little of either to be found. Something else entirely wants to grow out of Blair’s uncertainties... Ruth Perkinson (Sterling Road Blues) confronts the tragedy of teen suicide amidst the hope, courage and faith of a small town and newfound belief in love.

OK, it's July. Anyone finished? What'd you think?

For me, I immediately liked the fact that it was set in Jackson Hole. I've been there, but a long time ago. I figured I'd like the Western vibe. I'm not sure the setting stood out enough to really distinguish it from anywhere else in the world. It's not like this story couldn't have been set elsewhere. This is told in first person, so when she lets us know her name, Blair Wingfield, I thought she was referring to someone else, maybe the local cheerleader she had a crush on. I have trouble taking anyone named Blair seriously. Ever since Facts of Life.

I found it kind of infuriating. It’s a slim volume, a simple story, but some sentences made little sense. Whether editing or intentional, I don’t know. She pulls in a lot of cultural references—this is very recent, takes place in 2011, the same year it was published, so it had to be a quick write. She also references obscure things like Dadaism. Blair really knows this stuff? Friends call her Blair Underwear for no known reason. Blair Underwood reference? Another character is Oneida, which Blair teases her by calling her silverware, but I thought of the New York Indian tribe and the county and the lake.
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Lesfic Book 2: The Mystic Market

Postby Lt Sue » 08 Jul 2012, 04:45

Is there anything worse than recommending a book and finding out that nobody likes it other than yourself... :scared:

This is the third book I have read by Ruth Perkinson, all of which have been set in Jackson Hole. There is, however, very little crossover in characters between the books. Just the odd mention or cameo appearance.

I liked the story because of its simplicity. Her characters are uncomplicated but a little quirky. I guess what resonated for me was Blair's circumstances around having to look after her brother and the great love and affection they had for each other despite the difficult circumstances.

All in all a decent afternoon spent reading.

PS. Did you think that Emma had only been out with that one guy before Blair?
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue
Enthusiatically participating

Postby ElaineB » 08 Jul 2012, 09:49

I think I've done that a few time, Sue. ;)

I did like the quirky characters and I loved her relationship with her brother. As to Emma, I think I thought she wasn't as straight as Blair kept insisting she was--she had nothing to go on, really, other than assuming she was most likely straight. But I am forgetting details...
ElaineB
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Nurse Jo » 09 Jul 2012, 07:35

Oh, is it set in Jackson Hole? Maybe I'll read it after all then! I would love to ski there.
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Lt Sue » 09 Jul 2012, 20:04

Nurse Jo wrote:Oh, is it set in Jackson Hole? Maybe I'll read it after all then! I would love to ski there.

It's on the e-reader waiting for you... :whistle:
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Lt Sue

Postby Baker » 10 Jul 2012, 08:10

:snigger:
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Return to Reading Challenges