Reading Challenges How They Work

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Reading Challenges How They Work

Postby deej » 20 Mar 2010, 04:54

On the LFF we have developed our Reading Challenges, which are our equivalent of a book club. At any one time we have a nominated book which those who wish to participate in read and then discuss. Any aspects of the book are fair game. We encourage each other to think about what we've read: we offer our interpretations of different facets and question others about theirs. We are frank in our opinions about what we liked and don't like. We generally have a wide range of opinions about the same book. It's a lot of fun to see what others did or did not take away from the same book. No one is an 'expert'. We're all readers with different likes and dislikes and ways of looking at things. So, there are no 'right' and 'wrong' answers, and our discussions are NOT like writing book reports for lit class.

The challenge aspect developed from the original conception of this idea wherein we set out to challenge ourselves to read books outside our comfort zones. We like to continue that by having different people select books so that we expose ourselves to a range of genres, styles, and tastes.

How does it work?

We have a sticky for the Book Pickers. This is the list of who selects the books and what they've chosen. We like to list one or two ahead so that everyone can acquire a copy in good time. We allow a few weeks for everyone to read and report back. You can see what books we've read, and which ones are up next. You can also see when it's going to be your turn to pick a book.

We have a thread for pre-reading discussion, where people can ask about buying or borrowing copies, deadlines for reading, etc. These will be labelled according to the name of the book.

Then we have the Discussion thread for each book. This will contain spoilers, so you're probably best off not reading that until you've read the book.

If you'd like to join in, let me know and I'll add you to the challengees list for a particular book. You don't have to formally join, but if we can gauge interest and know who is participating, we can keep a loose track on stuff like timing. Also, I use the list of those who regularly participate for my book pickers list. So, you have to be a participant to select a book.

Because we have members from all over the world, we ask that any books selected are in print and widely available so that everyone has a good chance of acquiring a copy.
Raise your hand if someone you know is alive today because you can't afford a hit man.
deej
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Re: Reading Challenges How They Work

Postby rooster » 22 Sep 2010, 04:30

oooo...

I wanna play!

Let me know when the next book is chosen.

:)
Ride it like you stole it.
rooster
Not much sign of life yet
Not much sign of life yet

Postby Baker » 25 Sep 2010, 08:29

We will start a thread in this forum announcing the book and asking for people who wish to participate. You'd be most welcome to join us. :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Eve Adam » 14 Mar 2011, 02:35

I'd like to join in too, when you get going. :wave:
Eve Adam
A little more activity
A little more activity

Postby Baker » 14 Mar 2011, 06:08

We have already selected the books and deadlines. Check out this thread. You're most welcome to join in. :-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Eve Adam » 15 Mar 2011, 02:56

Thanks Baker :)
Eve Adam
A little more activity
A little more activity

Return to Reading Challenges