NOT Reading "The Luminaries"

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

NOT Reading "The Luminaries"

Postby Baker » 17 Nov 2013, 08:14

Right, Wild, as we agreed, I started reading this weekend. For me, that was last night.

I'm the sort of reader who reads forewords, introductions, and all the front matter. I kinda wish I'd skipped "A note to readers", because it came across as very wanky and coloured my already tentative approach to this 800+ page monster.

My eReader software doesn't do page numbers, but I got about 3% into the book. On the positive side, I'm in no danger of losing track of what is happening and to whom, since all that has happened is Walter has walked into a hotel lounge and poured himself a drink. This might be vastly unfair, but I find myself continually making comparisons to Atwell's The Blind Assassin (since that is my Man Booker comparison book), and so far it's no contest.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Re: Reading "The Luminaries"

Postby FranW » 17 Nov 2013, 08:49

Quite honestly, I think you can just read the chapter titles and come away with a fair idea of the entire plot.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 17 Nov 2013, 11:39

Baker, I know I agreed with you to start today, but one of my closest friends died today and I just got home (it's almost midnight here). I'll try to start before going to bed.

No comparison to Atwood? I'm not surprised :).

Fran, what you are saying is not very uplifting.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 18 Nov 2013, 06:14

Ah, shit, I'm sorry to hear that, Wild. The damned book can wait.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 19 Nov 2013, 22:41

Ok. So, I'm now on page 20 which should be about where you had read so far. The book hasn't grab me so far which is no wonder considering that not much has happened except a bit of infodump on Walter Moody and Thomas Balfour.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 20 Nov 2013, 06:00

Um....that's not going to change, Wild.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 20 Nov 2013, 08:57

Really :scared:? All 800 pages of it?
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 20 Nov 2013, 14:15

Well, maybe it gets better. I got up to some hermit guy being found dead, and then some woman supposedly being his wife and some other woman being dead.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 21 Nov 2013, 06:44

I read a little more last night. (Little being the operative word.) When I put my tablet down, I had this sinking feeling we are going meet each of the 12 people (men?) in the room in turn and get their history before anything actually happens.

Not grabbing me so far. I'm also not seeing much in the way of turn of phrase or imagery that is leaping out at me as "wow, this is good writing".

Also, I keep getting thrown by the way she occasionally drops into directly addressing the reader.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Baker » 22 Nov 2013, 06:25

A little more last night. I feel like I'm reading against a current. I want to go forward: the story wants to go forward (I assume there is a story in this somewhere): but the author is desperately pushing back. Actually, not a current: that is too active an image. I feel like I'm trying to wade across a featureless treacle lake whose sides and depth are not apparent.

I'm still eagerly awaiting the brilliance that this book contains which merited the Man Booker.

Wild?
Baker
Site Admin

Next

Return to Reading Challenges