NOT Reading "The Luminaries"

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Re: Reading "The Luminaries"

Postby Baker » 24 May 2014, 09:49

Astrology? Oh, no. A superstitious loony to boot. That did not make reading the book any easier.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 25 May 2014, 00:01

lol Answering your question, no Baker, so far I did not find any literary merit.
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 03 Jun 2014, 08:04

When I tried to open the epub file of this book last night, my e-reader software barfed and told me the file was kaput. I confess that, for a few seconds, I was delighted and wondered if I ought to use that as an astrological sign from the planets, spheres, stars etc etc that I ought not keep reading. Then I imagined a "look" from Wildx, and I found a back-up copy that would open.

When I came to a bit where the narrator/author addresses the reader, I found it a pretentious wankfest. I have no connection with any of the characters and the way she mixes up the timeline is annoying. Is it adding anything? The mystery itself is buried under a pile of words that show no signs of composting into rich material.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities ~ Voltaire
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 04 Jun 2014, 06:39

lol I didn't know you were afraid of my "look" ;-). I'm now on page 199 and still the book hasn't interested me much. And yes I do agree that the writing is pretentious. At what page are you, Baker?
A lesbian is the rage of all women condensed to the point of explosion. “The Woman-Identified Woman” Radicalesbians (1970)
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 04 Jun 2014, 07:24

Not sure, as my e-reader app does % of the book rather than page numbers. I can't remember the percentage, but I do recall it was a distressingly small number not nearly 100 yet. I'm up to the bit where this bloke talks to this other bloke about something.

Oh, and of course! :hide:
Baker
Site Admin

Postby Nurse Jo » 04 Jun 2014, 07:27

Wildlx, you have a 'look'? lol

Okay, you do actually, it's as scary as Sue's look is!

Thank you both for this sacrifice of time, I can honestly say I will never be tempted by this book now lol .
There is nothing the British like better than a bloke who comes from nowhere, makes it, and then gets clobbered. Melvyn Bragg
Nurse Jo
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby FranW » 04 Jun 2014, 07:40

WOULD YOU TWO LADIES STOP TORMENTING YOURSELVES AND JUST GIVE UP ON THAT BLOODY AWFUL BOOK!?!?!?!?!?!

Life is too short, and there are too many good books out there to read.
No on H8
FranW
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby wildlx » 05 Jun 2014, 04:51

That is very true. Should we follow Fran's advice, Baker? I'm reading one now that perhaps will interest you: Sheri S. Tepper's The Gate to Women's Country. Have you read it, Baker? It won the Locus award in 1992 and it has managed to keep me interested so far (I'm now on the last 3rd of the book). That is not to say that the book doesn't have its problems/challenges, starting with Tepper's homophobic take on homosexuality, which is mentioned in the book en passant as being a genetic/hormonal disease which has been eradicated.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

Postby Baker » 05 Jun 2014, 07:32

Yes, I think Fran is right, especially since neither of us is finding the book in any way interesting. Shall we formally abandon our attempted slog through The Luminaries and conclude that neither of us could discover what stratospheric and particular merit the Man Booker judges found in a book they gave one of the most prestigious prizes in English to?

Yes, I've read The Gate to Women's Country. :-) You're correct, there are some problem areas in it, with the homosexuality being a biggie for me. It seemed particularly odd given the composition of society inside and outside the city. Despite that, the book is one I remember warmly.
Baker
Site Admin

Postby wildlx » 06 Jun 2014, 08:25

Yes, It is now official that we give up on our attempt to read The Luminaries.

I liked the The Gate to Women's Country. I finished reading it yesterday.
wildlx
Heartbeat of the forum
Heartbeat of the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Reading Challenges