Forum Reading Challenge: Suggestions Please

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Forum Reading Challenge: Suggestions Please

Postby tanner » 26 Mar 2010, 14:21

Baker wrote:Since we're thinking of starting up the reading challenges (aka forum book club) after the holidaze/new year, I thought I'd toss out a request for suggestions for titles.

Bear in mind that for the sake of general availability, it's probably best to stick to titles that are currently in print. (*)Also, feel free to suggest any genre, since anyone can opt out of a particular challenge if they don't feel like reading a particular book.

The book doesn't have to be one you have read. It can be one you've always meant to read: this can be a way of giving yourself a boot up the backside to finally open it. Or it can be a book you've read and think other forumites would enjoy it or at least like to discuss it.

So, suggestions please.

Also, we're not restricted to just one title, since we can make a list! :)

Suggestions list (in order received):

Earthly Powers, by Anthony Burgess
Stone Butch Blues, by Leslie Feinberg
Light, Coming Back. by Ann Wadsworth
In search of the missing eyelash, by Kate Mcleod
Of Drag Kings and the Wheel of Fate, by Susan Smith

--------------
(*) Special bonus if books are likely to be available in public libraries for those who don't wish to buy a copy. Although, lending is another way around this.
tanner
Enthusiatically participating

Re: Forum Reading Challenge: Suggestions Please

Postby tanner » 30 Mar 2010, 12:06

jisun wrote:How about Earthly Powers, by Anthony Burgess? It's not centered on a lesbian character, but it deals with very interesting themes about identity, homosexuality, spirituality and modernity. I've haven't had a chance to read it yet, so can't speak from my own experience, but it's been very highly reviewed. And it's likely to be in a library. :)
tanner

Postby tanner » 30 Mar 2010, 12:07

HH wrote:I need a boot up the backside to read Stone Butch Blues, which is sitting on my desk.

However, as I've started a project that is going to involve me doing a lot of reading, I'll probably have to skip the next forum reading challenge.
tanner

Postby tanner » 30 Mar 2010, 12:08

Nurse Jo wrote:I haven't read Stone Butch Blues either. I keep meaning to get a copy. The Anthony Burgess book looks interesting Cat.

Ok, I'll be honest. I want to read a book that makes me think but which is fun and doesn't preach or give me a headache by being too clever. Anyone know of a book like that? Oh yes, and with a storyline that carries me along and gets me involved in another life whilst I read.
tanner

Postby tanner » 30 Mar 2010, 12:08

HH wrote:Jo, does it need to be lesfic?
tanner

Postby tanner » 30 Mar 2010, 12:09

Nurse Jo wrote:No. I just need a book that will grab me.
tanner

Postby tanner » 30 Mar 2010, 12:09

jisun wrote:
Nurse Jo wrote:Ok, I'll be honest. I want to read a book that makes me think but which is fun and doesn't preach or give me a headache by being too clever. Anyone know of a book like that? Oh yes, and with a storyline that carries me along and gets me involved in another life whilst I read.

:lol: Kudos for honesty, Jo!

Hey, here's a novel idea. ;) Does someone want to try and do a screenplay/script instead?
tanner

Postby tanner » 30 Mar 2010, 12:10

Nurse Jo wrote:I'm reading two books at the moment. One on Shakespeare and one about the women of left-bank Paris (thanks Wildlx). I'm enjoying them both but I can't seem to settle down to fiction at the moment. My shelves have fiction on them that is unread but I pick it up and read a page or two and put it down. Most unlike me.

Hopefully another book challenge/club will kickstart me and get my enthusiasm going again. I'd better not have any part in the book choice though in my current strange mood.
tanner

Postby tanner » 30 Mar 2010, 12:11

crisco wrote:
Nurse Jo wrote:I haven't read Stone Butch Blues either. I keep meaning to get a copy. The Anthony Burgess book looks interesting Cat.

You can borrow Bex's copy if you want to/when you have some time. It's certainly not a feel-good book though.
tanner

Postby tanner » 30 Mar 2010, 12:11

Nurse Jo wrote:Thanks Crisco. I'll remember that for the future. :-)
tanner

Next

Return to Reading Challenges