FRC Discussion: In Search of the Missing Eyelash

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Re: FRC Discussion: In Search of the Missing Eyelash

Postby tanner » 10 Apr 2010, 13:55

Dejay wrote:I totally agree with Nurse Jo regarding the fact that these type incidents happen much more often than most would think. While it's not the norm, it does happen to approximately 7 in 10 women here in the states and 3 in 10 women when it's a lesbian relationship. I think this last number is low because most don't report it and no one really keeps these records as yet. :mad: :mad: :mad:
tanner
Enthusiatically participating

Postby tanner » 10 Apr 2010, 13:56

wildlx wrote:Yup, Jo is right. There are a lot of loonies out there.
tanner

Postby tanner » 10 Apr 2010, 13:57

crisco wrote:Oh aye, I won't deny that there are obsessed lesbian stalkers with self-worth issues out there (I shouldn't really have said loonie, that was a bit flippant), but it's not the norm, is it?
If Karen MacLeod had said 'I wanted to write a book about a lesbian relationship gone bad' or 'to show that not all lesbian affairs end with everyone being friends' or that 'lesbians have mental health issues too'- yeah cool, no problem with me. The generalisation just irked me somewhat.
tanner

Postby tanner » 10 Apr 2010, 13:58

Baker wrote:Yes, crisco, I agree. The sweeping statement is wrong and wrong-headed. Unless, as I said, that is genuinely the only type of lesbian relationship McLeod has ever experienced or knows about--which I seriously doubt. Given all the negativity out there about homosexual relationships (they never last: they're just about sex: they're not real), it seems a bit off to make a sweeping claim about how people really act. :dunno:
tanner

Postby tanner » 10 Apr 2010, 13:59

jisun wrote:Well, to be fair, the rest of the quote kind of puts it in context:

author wrote:I felt there wasn't a book out there which was talking about how people really act in lesbian relationships. The madness and the obsession which we have all felt at some point in our lives. Lizzie was the poor character who had to go through it all.

Based on the remaining section of the quote, it seems more likely that she's making a far more tenable statement, which is that people have all felt that kind of desperation at least once -- though perhaps not each and every time. I think that makes a lot more sense. Put in this context, her statement about "really act in lesbian relationships" isn't necessarily that all lesbian relationships are like Lizzie's. Rather, it's also possible McLeod meant to say that real-life lesbian relationships have moments of pain, insecurity, and less-than-glamorous points of humiliation. As opposed to, say, tall, dark, and handsome women striding in with their Armani suits. ;)
tanner

Postby tanner » 10 Apr 2010, 14:00

wildlx wrote:Excellent point, Cat ;)
tanner

Postby tanner » 10 Apr 2010, 14:01

jisun wrote:Wow, at this rate, I'm going to get the warm and fuzzies whenever we both do book reviews. ;)
tanner

Postby tanner » 10 Apr 2010, 14:02

wildlx wrote: lol I wouldn't count on it too much, considering our past disagreements ;)
tanner

Postby tanner » 10 Apr 2010, 14:03

jisun wrote:Well, there go the warm and fuzzies, then. lol
tanner

Postby tanner » 10 Apr 2010, 14:04

crisco wrote:
jisun wrote:Well, to be fair, the rest of the quote kind of puts it in context:

author wrote:I felt there wasn't a book out there which was talking about how people really act in lesbian relationships. The madness and the obsession which we have all felt at some point in our lives. Lizzie was the poor character who had to go through it all.

Based on the remaining section of the quote, it seems more likely that she's making a far more tenable statement, which is that people have all felt that kind of desperation at least once -- though perhaps not each and every time. I think that makes a lot more sense. Put in this context, her statement about "really act in lesbian relationships" isn't necessarily that all lesbian relationships are like Lizzie's. Rather, it's also possible McLeod meant to say that real-life lesbian relationships have moments of pain, insecurity, and less-than-glamorous points of humiliation. As opposed to, say, tall, dark, and handsome women striding in with their Armani suits. wink

Yes, but - I think my issue here is the acting/feeling bit. Most people may have felt similarly, but I daresay very, very few will have acted like Lizzie, which kinda clashes with the statement about lesbian relationships in general. I can see how she might have meant to convey something along the lines of what you suggested, but it's incredibly awkwardly phrased, if you ask me (or it's meant to be provocative, who knows).
tanner

Previous

Return to Reading Challenges