Forum Reading Challenge: Footnotes to Sex

The LFF's Book Club. We read and discuss books nominated by members. Join in by asking to have your name added to the list of challenges. We encourage frank and open discussions and expressions of opinions. Any aspect of the books is fair game.

Moderators: FranW, ElaineB

Forum Reading Challenge: Footnotes to Sex

Postby tanner » 26 Mar 2010, 14:27

Baker wrote:OK, ladies, we've had quite an hiatus since the last round of what we are not going to call a 'book club' but which it really is. :)

We've had couples marry, forumites travel the globe, get drunk together, meet for the first time, etc etc but now is the time to start reading again. Yes? :specs:

So, lets have some nominations for this round's book. Wild, I think you made a suggestion recently in PM to me that we ought to consider. (The one published by Penguin.) If you'd be so kind as to post a link and a bit of blurb.... :-)

As always, feel free to express genre preferences--including ones you'd prefer not to read.

You all know the score by now: we nominate books, discuss possibilities, you sign up for whether or not you're in and we choose. We set a date for feedback to start.

Challengees

Baker
Nurse Jo (who is a sweetie!)
Wildlx
Tanner
Pender
Jess
Gringa
HH
Cat
Proof
Selkie
Athena
LynetteMae
tanner
Enthusiatically participating

Re: Forum Reading Challenge: Footnotes to Sex

Postby tanner » 16 Apr 2010, 11:13

Nurse Jo wrote:I'm in. I'll read whatever is suggested. This is, after all , a "challenge" ;)
tanner

Postby tanner » 16 Apr 2010, 11:14

Baker wrote:Cool. I'm in.

The suggestion is Footnotes to Sex by Mia Farlane, published this year by Penguin.

Blurb wrote:May Woodlea is a champion procrastinator - the 3 a.m. failure in us all. She is not writing the proposal for her PhD. She lives in a grotty bedsit with her long-suffering partner Jansen. She is plagued by her unforgivably cheerful younger sister Elizabeth.

How will May find purpose in her life and escape the daily grind? Can May and Jansen rescue their relationship from a seeming eternity of grudge-holding, competitive tiredness, imagined slights and absolutely no sex? And what will happen when a glamorous, domineering French writer and an old flame of Jansen's come on the scene?

Footnotes to Sex is a painfully funny novel about procrastination, double-chocolate biscuits, the importance of commitment and what happens in relationships when the sex isn't happening…
tanner

Postby tanner » 16 Apr 2010, 11:18

lol
jisun wrote:Between the words "bedsit" and "double-chocolate biscuit," I'm guessing this is a book from the UK.

I'm in.
:)
tanner

Postby tanner » 16 Apr 2010, 11:19

Jess wrote:I believe I'll actually have some spare time for this on. :yahoo: I'm in!
tanner

Postby tanner » 16 Apr 2010, 11:20

:mad: :mad: :mad:
Dejay wrote:Crap I'm on the road and can't get this one shipped to me. <sigh>
tanner

Postby tanner » 16 Apr 2010, 11:21

la gringa wrote:Jess, wanna book share?
tanner

Postby tanner » 16 Apr 2010, 11:22

tanner wrote:Just ordered the book. Count Pender and me in.
tanner

Postby tanner » 16 Apr 2010, 11:22

HH wrote:Looks good! I'll have a wee shop at the Book Depos.
tanner

Postby tanner » 16 Apr 2010, 11:24

Baker wrote:Good to see the response.
For all those who don't want to join in because you feel a bit intimidated by, perhaps, the giving feedback side of this, please don't be. You don't have to write a formal book review. Wildlx will write an in-depth review. Cat will write an even loooonger one. And the rest of us discuss the book in much shorter terms.

Seriously, one of the aspects of our challenges that I enjoy is seeing what different people get from the same book. You don't have to get technical or lyrical or whatever. I relish the chance to ask other people what they thought about aspects of the same book. Discussion is the key. Sharing thoughts and reactions to the same book.

This is not book report class. Proof does not grade anyone. Nor is anyone's opinion more or less valid than anyone else's. Also, this is a great chance to calibrate people as reviewers. Since we all read the same book, you can see whose opinions most closely match your own. Then, when that person recommends--or warns about--a book, you have a fair idea you might feel the same way.

Plus, we tend to have a lot of fun. Well, I do.

So, I would urge any wall flowers to take the plunge and join us.
tanner

Next

Return to Reading Challenges